Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Home is Where the Heart is

Well, in exactly one week I will be sleeping in this house for the last time. It's a weird thought. I can't even wrap my mind around it, actually. This house... well it's my home. I've lived here since I was 10. I remember when we first moved in and I spent the whole first night crying because I wanted to go back to my old house. We did the next day and that's when I realized that home wasn't the house it was the family that lived in it and the things that were in it that made it ours. Granted, this house is a little different than the house we lived in before because we built this one and have lived here for so much longer. I'm starting to feel the detachment to this house just in that it's been remodeled since I was last here so it doesn't feel as much like it's mine. But I still don't know what I'm going to do without this being my home. The past few months at college my little dorm room was my home and I felt detached to that as I left because nothing about the room was mine anymore. I guess that's how it goes. You have a place and you fill it with you, then when you move it's just a skeleton of what it once was. I don't really want this house to be like that though. I love this house. My last bedroom here was painted for my big present when I turned 18. It hurts to think that the family moving in might paint over it. I love our backyard. It's seriously beautiful. Tonight we had our last cook out in the fire pit with the hammock and s'mores and everything... It was perfect. I think it's teasing us with how perfect it is right now. In a week it will all be nothing but a memory. (name that movie.... You've Got Mail :) ) I'm going to miss the green, having a yard, our house, the drinking fountain, my old adorable room, the people in our ward that I actually know. (so many new people moved in that I don't even know most of them anymore) I'm gonna miss the back country roads and the hills covered in trees. I love kentucky, it's where I've spent 13 of the 19 years of my life. I have so many memories here, but is it worth it to stay just to be able to relive those memories? Memories can be made anywhere. My best memories have been made in the past few months at BYU, not Kentucky. Well, here we go. Heading off into the unknown. Everything familiar to me is going to be gone, my house, home ward, friends, boyfriend... everything's changing at once, I just hope that I can embrace it and take it as it comes.

Come what may and love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment